Pumpkin Mac and CheeseIngredients
· 2 cups dried elbow macaroni (8 ounces) I used rigatoni.
· 2 Tbsp. butter
· 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
· 1 cup whipping cream I used half & half· 1 cup whole milk I used skim milk
· 4 oz. Fontina cheese, shredded (1 cup) I used Quattro Frommagio
· 1 15-oz. can pumpkin
· 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp. dried leaf sage, crushed I used Herbes de Provence
· 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs I used Panko· 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 1/3 cup chopped walnuts I omitted these (Lily is still too young)
· 1 Tbsp. olive oil
· Sage leaves (optional) I didn't have sage!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta in a large pot following package directions. Drain cooked pasta, then return to pot.
2. For cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add whipping cream and milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, pumpkin, and sage until cheese is melted. Stir cheese sauce into pasta to coat. Transfer macaroni and cheese to an ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
3. In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, walnuts, and oil; sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with sage leaves.